Monday, July 25, 2005

Living in a cloud of due dates

I just recently finished a 34 page sermon outline project for my Greek Exegesis class at DBTS (the biggest project of my life). It was due on Friday (July 22). I had planned to be done around the 4th of July so that my summer could officially "begin", but that obviously didn't happen. When I finished the project last week, I decided that I should figure out how much work I had to do for the fall semester that is approaching all too quickly...2 classes, 2500 pages of reading, 5 tests, and two 25 page papers. There never seems to be a time where I can think "Ahhh, finished!". It's always "Alright, what is next?" I guess this is only for my own good. When I get into ministry I don't want to be at a point where I feel, "Ahhh, finished!", do I? Once I begin feeling that way, Satan will be ready to attack. Do you think lions attack when their prey is standing on guard? No, the lion lies in wait until its prey is in its most vulnerable position. In the same way, "Satan prowls around like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour". Paul echoes this idea in 1 Cor 10:13: "If you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall".

I suppose my mindset should be similar to that of an expectant mother (Jennifer is currently great with child...due on Saturday), "Boy, this baby really hurts me. When am I going to get this living creature out of my stomach?" Actually that thought wouldn't really apply to me, but I should have the thought of being ready to face the challenges that lie ahead, but at the same time, never satisfied (or comfortable) with my current state of being. This mindset should be evident in my personal life as well as in the life of my ministry.

I'm not saying that I shouldn't be content with where the Lord has placed me (on the contrary, I should be constantly grateful for my position), but I should not be complacently satisfied with my current state. I should always be pursuing greater things for God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home